Are you looking for somewhere cool to escape the heat this weekend? Throughout Texas and in online retailers that do business in Texas, you can take advantage of tax free shopping this weekend from Friday, August 9-Sunday, August 11. Today, we will share with you what to buy, what not to buy and a few great places for shopping. Tax free shopping weekend was created to coincide with back to school season and allow those purchasing back to school clothes and supplies a break from the taxes. Many retailers pair sales with this weekend to make it at even better reason to shop.
What to Buy
- Clothes that are less than $100 per item. Save your designer shopping for another time.
- Shoes that are less than $100 per item.
- School supplies – this includes backpacks and lunch boxes so get what you need now. The $100 limit applies here as well.
- Since you are saving a little money, consider picking up extra supplies for your teacher or school if you find a great deal.
What Not to Buy
- Nothing over $100 per item. Even if your child wants those new athletic shoes with a hefty price tag and they plan to wear them to school, they won’t be exempt.
- Check this list if you have athletic equipment on your shopping list. For example, baseball cleats and caps will be exempt while baseball cleats, gloves and pants won’t.
- Tax free savings isn’t really all that much unless you are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars. If you wouldn’t buy the item without the discount, this probably shouldn’t entice you that much so don’t be tempted by the hype of the weekend to overspend on items you don’t need or want.
Where to Go
- The Galleria, Houston
- River Oaks Shopping Center, Houston
- Highland Village, Houston
- Katy Mills, Katy
- The Woodlands Mall, The Woodlands
Event: Tax Free Weekend
Time: Friday, August 9th-Sunday, August 11th
Location: Throughout Texas and at many online retailers
For more information about this year’s tax free weekend, visit here.
The Chris Wylie Team is your ultimate real estate resource for Houston, The Woodlands, Spring, Cypress, Katy, Tomball and the surrounding areas. Visit our website for for detailed information regarding today’s real estate market.