Avoiding Expensive Foundation Repairs
Foundation problems could be very costly to fix. The best way to avoid expensive repairs is by identifying the early sings of potential problems. Doing some preventing maintenance could also save you thousands of dollars in repairs.
There are many common signs of movement in you foundation, but the clearest indications are:
- Cracks in the walls
- Cracks above doors and windows
- Brick cracks
- Doors and windows that stick or hard to open and close
- Tile or grout breakage
- Unlevel floors
The trick is reading the signs of foundation movement that is caused, for the most part, by lack of proper maintenance. Some people can easily identify a floor that is not level, or a door that jams or fails to latch. Cracks that appear over doorways, windows or where walls meet the ceilings are also hints of foundation movement.
These could cause a number of problems to the rest of your house if not addressed promptly. These problems can include:
- Broken gas and water lines
- Roof leaks
- Damage to interior walls, doors and windows
- Underground plumbing
Some of these problems can be easily prevented by properly maintaining your slab foundation. Some of the following solutions could be done by you or you could hire a contractor of your choice.
- Properly watering your foundation
- Establishing and maintaining foundation drainage
- How to use root barriers and when
- How to manage roof water and other types of water runoff
- What to do about bare ground areas
The most important step in preventing foundation problems is; for you to take action before is too late!