Selecting Countertops From So Many Choices
If you are in the process of updating kitchen or bathroom countertops in your Houston or Spring area home and don’t know what kind of material to go with, here is an overview of the different products as well as advantages and disadvantages of each. There are many things to consider from price, durability, maintenance and obviously the style of the countertops as well.
- Quartz countertops offer durability and almost zero maintenance. They won’t scratch or dent and offer natural heat resistance. Many colors are available allowing you to customize your countertops to meet your style.
- Polished granite countertops are a very durable solution as well but will require some maintenance, typically sealing once a year. You should wipe up spills quickly to help maintain your finish but they do offer many color choices and will hold up nicely for a long time with proper care while making a great impact with their high end look.
- Laminate countertops are the most cost effective option and now come in many new patterns and colors that closely resemble some of the higher end finishes. They are one of the easiest to damage so you will need to take care to keep them looking nice but this update will allow you to stay within a tight budget.
- Wood countertops provide a very functional alternative along with heat resistance at a lower cost than granite or quartz. Some maintenance is required to keep them sealed but might be a nice addition to your kitchen especially if you spend a lot of time doing meal preparations.
- Marble offers a high end look that will never go out of style. Sealing regularly is necessary to keep the marble looking top notch but this might be worth the expense if you are looking for something that you plan to keep for a while.
- Stainless steel countertops provide a stylish look that will go with everything and are extremely low maintenance and very hygienic.
- Concrete countertops offer a wide variety of options for customization and are available in many colors and textures. They offer a unique and minimalistic look while providing increased energy efficiency as well.
- Tile countertops can be created in almost any budget and offer endless customization options. Coordinate with your backsplash for even more different looks.
These are just the most popular options but there are still more and you could spend years looking and never make a decision. Ultimately, both your budget and style will be the primary deciding factors. Since no one stays in their house forever, make sure to think about how your decision will impact your home’s resale value and the appeal it will have to others when you are making your final choice.
The Chris Wylie Team
Houston & The Woodlands Real Estate
The Chris Wylie Team is your ultimate real estate resource for Houston, The Woodlands, Spring, Cypress, Katy, Tomball and the surrounding areas. Visit our website for for detailed information regarding today’s real estate market.
Image courtesy of wkedersha/pixabay.com